Saturday, April 25, 2009

Inspiration or aggravation?

With this semesters' Scissortail festival over and done with and myself not attending any presentations, I am presented with the prospect of 'feeding the muse' as Dr. Benton has put it. What do I find inspirational? Inspiration springs forth from me as a result of a heartfelt desire. That may include accomplishing a task such as writing, relishing in the day that is provided for me, or from a reading that was moving. These are only examples and are not conclusive.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, some of my recent inspiration has come from the abhorrent ideologies or philosophies presented in instructions, readings, and attitudes exhibited upon the ECU campus, especially pertaining to the English Dept. Indeed, they are prevalent elsewhere in every facet of society. The very idea that such discourse presented is overwhelmingly and potentially dangerous to students demands that I speak up.

In my eyes, much of the faculty and subsequent required readings of various authors, are postmodern/poststructural in their content. This is contrary to my entire belief system and I find it detrimental to producing valued members of society.

That being said, I should really save the rest of this diatribe for the papers that are due at the end of this semester. If anyone is really that interested in further conversations concerning this, please comment and we can explore these concepts in depth.

No comments: